Today’s guest blogger is Hollywood book publicist Charlie Barrett, owner of the PR firm The Barrett Company. Charlie is on a virtual publicist tour with Pump Up Your Book. Be sure you check out how you can win a FREE Kindle following his guest post!
by Charlie Barrett, Hollywood-based Book Publicist
Here is a basic, general plan I recommend to create “buzz” about a new book that authors should adhere to as they seek and develop a strategy to launch a media outreach-publicity plan for their published work. No worthwhile, effective and basic PR plan can be successful without these book marketing tips:
- Creation of a customized, media-friendly & dedicated two-page press release on the book.
- A global virtual author tour on the Net targeting social bloggers, forums and affiliate programs.
- Selection of professionally done photo(s) of the author for media and web site use.
- Distribution of the press release to all relevant print, radio/TV and online medias from Publishers Weekly to The NY Times to USA Today to the Today show and Oprah to Google News and many others. Using a good online news release distribution service too is crucial in getting max exposure for the press release.
- Book signings in book stores and other select and appropriate venues.
- Speaker events from panel discussion groups at book festivals to local groups that can give support for marketing a book.
- Radio interviews… both local, satellite (Sirius Radio) and nationally syndicated.
- TV show bookings from local stations to national shows (for example, from The View to C-Span).
- Authors may write articles or papers on any given subject relative to his or her book that can be brokered to the print and digital media (newspapers, magazines).
- Authors should place their book’s web site address within their e-mail signature as another way to publicize their published works.
- Media training should be conducted with most authors publicizing a book. This can be done with mock interviews for TV, radio, print and digital medias.
- “Rave” book reviews should be placed on an author’s web site and used to update the original press release on a regular basis to keep it fresh and appealing.
- Radio and TV interview clips can also be placed on an author’s web site as another content marketing tool.
- Every author needs his own dedicated web site, whether it is a start-up web page or an intricate, sophisticated site. The website should feature his or her biography, photos for media downloading, an outline of their book titles as well as radio clips, print reviews and video of TV guestings, events that can be listened to and viewed.
# # #
Professional national book publicist Charlie Barrett formed The Barrett Company in 1992 as a full service media relations and media marketing / communications agency. The Los Angeles headquartered firm offers 21st century integrated media outreach and media marketing expertise with an emphasis on the publishing and entertainment industries serving authors/publishers, Hollywood celebrities, motion pictures and television.
Since the firm’s creation TBC has served authors with such companies as Simon & Schuster, Globe Pequot Press, Norton and studios and TV outlets from Warner Brothers and Paramount, to cable TV network American Movie Classics (Mad Men) to ABC, CBS, Fox Television, as well as self-published author publishers such as Xlibris, Author House, i-Universe and numerous celebrities from Johnny Carson to Ed McMahon to Kevin Costner to Oprah Winfrey (Oprah’s Big Give television series on ABC).
The Barrett Company serves major publisher, small press and self-published authors with Harper Collins, Little Brown, Penguin Press, Oxford University Press, CreateSpace, Viking Press, Random House, Holm Press, Ben Bella Books, SMU Press and NYU Press – – creating and performing a range of publicity services and media outreach for both fiction and non-fiction book releases areas, generating media attention/coverage in print, broadcast and the growing on line digital medias. TBC is developing new book marketing strategies for e-books and author activity with Kindle, Nook You Tube, Twitter and Facebook
You can visit Charlie’s website at www.thebarrettco.com.
We’re having a Facebook party!!!!
Pump Up Your Book will be hosting Hollywood book publicist Charlie Barrett Thursday, January 27, 2011 at 9 – 11 p.m. (eastern time – adust to your time zone) at Pump Up Your Book’s Facebook page. Tell your book friends that not only will this give them an opportunity to chat with Charlie about book publicity BUT…
WE’RE GIVING AWAY A KINDLE ($189 VALUE)!!!!
CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!
- Book Publicist Charlie Barrett on ‘Hollywood Book Publicity Tour’ Jan. 3
- How a Web Presence Landed My Book in Hollywood
- Book Marketing Buzz Book Promotion & Publicity Tips: How to Promote Your Books with Becky Due
- Book Marketing Buzz Book Promotion & Publicity Tips: How to Promote Your Books with Kailin Gow
- Book Promotion & Publicity Tips: How to Promote Your Books with Tom Graneau