One of the most-asked questions I get from writers who have never written and published an eBook before is, “How would you promote a self-published eBook? Where would you go to even begin selling a product that hasn’t the backup from a traditional or otherwise publisher?”
Well, that’s two, but many writers balk at attempting to play publisher. If they only knew it’s not as hard as they think it is, not to mention all the profits are theirs, I feel more writers would be comfortable to take on a project like this. Not only is self-publishing eBooks a profitable venture, but it also can be used as a valuable tool to gain expert status. Plus, eBooks are really simple to promote as long as you take a no-nonsense guerilla approach to marketing.
As long as you have a market, and have a quality eBook that is free of errors, your eBook can become a success, thus give you that added income. You won’t be sharing the profits with anyone. There is no overhead except for website expenses, which you should already have if you’ve been published before. If you haven’t been published before and don’t want to set up a whole website for this, use one of the free blogging platforms such as Blogger.com or Wordpress.com to talk about your new money-making e-Book.
I have successfully promoted several eBooks for myself getting those eBooks into the #1 position in the search engines for basically nothing other than my time.
That’s where your guerilla marketing plan comes in.
Here are a few simple ways I have used to promote my eBooks and get them to the top of the search engines:
- Using key search words throughout my selling page and on every single piece of promotional literature I send out.
- Using free press release sites frequently, keeping in mind to use those key search words not only in the title, but also throughout the release.
- Using free content ezines as vehicles to get my selling page’s link on hundreds upon hundreds of websites (being careful to put the title of your article into google alerts so your article doesn’t get reworded like this to make it sound like another business wrote YOUR article).
- Using online storefronts (this is a suggestion; a search in google will find you more) who will list my eBook for free.
- Using writer forums and websites that will let you announce your eBook.
- Using blogs to announce your eBook and promote it.
- Using virtual book tours, thus using other people’s blogs to promote your book.
The secret to selling self-published eBooks (or any kind of eBook or print book, for that matter) is to get your link on as many websites and blogs as you can (an added bonus to this is that it raises your PR ranking in the process).
You have to remember, you have an electronic book. You can’t go on book signings so you have to rely on the Internet to get the word out. But, by following those seven examples above, I’ll guarantee you’ll get the sales you need if you have a market for your book.
So what if you’ve done everything above, and your eBook still isn’t selling?
Where some authors go wrong is that they fail to remember the most important thing you need in order to sell any kind of books—a market.
No amount of promotion is going to do you any good unless you have an audience who is willing to fork out the money.
Before you even put down that first word, you have to ask yourself these following questions:
- Who is going to buy my eBook?
- Why is my eBook any different than Joe Blow’s eBook on the same subject?
- What will my audience gain from my eBook?
- Can they already find this information readily on the Internet?
- Will my buyers gain something from my eBook, or is it simply to entertain?
- Pique your potential buyer’s interest.
- Post an excerpt on your website so they can judge for themselves whether your eBook will be something they need.
Once you get into the mindset of your buyer, things start falling in place, and you’ll get those sales you want.
Zero in on your market, do the steps I’ve outlined above, and I’ll guarantee you’ll be selling ebooks like flies on to honey.
Happy promoting to you!
Dorothy Thompson is CEO/Founder of Pump Up Your Book, an innovative public relations firm specializing in online book promotion and virtual book tours for authors who want maximum exposure online. Visit us at www.pumpupyourbook.com.
Sign up for our email updates